Thursday, August 7, 2008

My arrival

Ok.  So I haven't really had much contact with all of you back home so far, but I want you to know that I have spent almost three hours writing this first sentence.  I'm trying here, I really am, but I have already experienced so many new things, and as you should know, physics guys aren't exactly known for their great communication skills.  So here it it:

I left Minnesota at 7:10 PM on August 2nd.  I had meant to eat one last burrito from Chipotles for lunch, but my stomach was a little edgy and I thought it best for the flight not to overfill it beforehand.  As soon as the plane took off, my stomach relaxed and I regretted leaving behind my last trademark steak burrito with black beans, rice, tomato and green chili salsa, cheese, lettuce and sour cream.  With that aside, the flight went really well.  From Minneapolis we went to Los Angeles, followed by Taipei, Kuala Lumpur, and finally Phuket.

As I was exiting the plane in Taipei I missed the beginning part of an announcement, hearing only "...is punishable by death in China."  This was a little unnerving.  I later found out that it was referring to drug trafficking.  Overall, Malyasia Airlines gave me very good service.  Even as I was on the hour and a half flight from Kuala Lumpur to Phuket I was given a meal.

After going through customs, I was picked up from the airport by a school employee and a driver.  The drive to my new house scarred the crap out of me (yes, not just scared, but scarred).  I had heard about Thai driving, but hearing and seeing are two different things.  It is very animalistic, the bigger vehicle always has the right of way, but the motorbikes still criss-cross and cut people off with seemingly no regard to their safety.  The lanes mean nothing and I don't think there is a speed limit.  People cros the median to pass each other with incoming traffic and cars will make left and right turns around you at intersections.  If a Thai does get into an accident with a foreigner, it is automatically the foreigner's fault.  I could live here my whole life and never get used to the driving.

Arriving at my house was a welcome relief after traveling for 36 hours, and I have settled quickly.  

I love you all, -Gary.

No comments: